WPF 4.0 / MSVS2010 compatible?

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:45 AM

is the library already compatible with ,NET 4.0 projects?

Editor
Apr 28, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Hi,

the version of DynamicDataDisplay which is on this site is targeted on .NET 3.5 SP1. You can use it in VS 2010 without any limitations.

The next public release will target .NET 4.0.

Best regards,

Mikhail.

May 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Hi,

When can we expect this, the new .NET4.0 release.

Regards

Ravi.

Editor
May 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Hi Ravi,

now I cannot name a certain date when the next release will happen.

Mikhail.

May 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Mikhail,

I am considering use of D3 for a mapping/plotting application that I am working on.  The controls look great and I am hoping that continued development on these controls (including 3D mesh surfaces) will occur in the future.  Could you please give me an overview of what the current development status is for this work?  Will it continue to be expanded?  It seems that not much has been released lately with regards to this library, but my hope is that will soon change.

Thanks,

Gerard

Editor
May 6, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Hi Gerard,

at this time we have prototypes of 1) a set of 3D charts, 2) a colormap, working on warped grids, 3) a prototype of new markers, and 4) a prototype of 2D and 3D vector field.

I'm saying prototypes because these controls work nicely in some specific cases, but may fail in case general data passed to them.

All these prototypes were created by students of Microsoft Laboratory in Moscow State University as a part of our agreement with Microsoft Research Cambridge, where a really interesting scientific application is being developed.

D3 entirely is only a consequence of two parts: this agreement and my personal initiative.

We have plans to continue developing these prototypes and progressive uploading them to codeplex. But I cannot name any certain dates.

Best regards,

Mikhail.

May 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Hi Mikhail,

Thanks for the update.  Your efforts are well appreciated!  Keep up the good work.  This is one of the nicest (probably THE nicest) charting tool out for WPF.  I am very much interested in what you will have for 3D plots.  Will one of these 3D plots be a "mesh surface" plot?

Gerard

Editor
May 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I think, there will be such chart. It is not very hard to do it by yourself. What are your needs in this chart? What kind of data and what size of data should it support?

May 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Our plots would consist of a 2D matrix of power values (dB) where X and Y are time and frequency respectively.  Each power value is represented by a 32 bit floating point number.  Typically, this raw data collection would be on the order of 8M of points (not bytes!).  This could increase in some circumestances up to a maximum size of 256M of points.  However, it's likely we would reduce the dataset by iteratinover small areas of points (e.g. 3x3 point matrices) and averaging those into a single power value at the center of each area prior to plotting.  Therefore, I think the reduced data collection would be around 1M of 32 bit floating point values.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Hi,

We are looking at using D3 in our application.  In order to evaluate it, I downloaded the release version and started to build a test harness to see if it meets our requirements, however, I came across some bugs in the D3 code. Rather than attempt to fix them, I wondered whether these had been fixed in the latest nightly, so downloaded that instead. Unfortunately, after migrating the project I can't get it to build in VS2010. It appears that there are some design features in the post release code that are linked to VS2008*. So, I decided to post here!

It would be great to get some clairty as to the release status of D3, since these issues impact on our decision to use it. In many respects, it is very encouraging and its empahsis on performance and support for large data sets is just what we need, so it would nice to see these issue resolved, or at least clarified.

Can anyone comment on the VS2010 question? Are we likely to see a new release soon? Someone hinged at a new September release? Is that still on track?

I also get the feeling that development is ongoing, but the changes have not been backported to the codeplex branch. Even if a release is not due soon, could the codeplex nightly be brought up to date please?

Thanks,

Max

*For example, the use of IRegisterMetadata:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/A/0/7A023209-096F-4F7D-B2BC-831ECC68FF5B/VS2010Beta1Readme.htm

"2.4.7.11 Extensibility Issues

Extensibility interfaces have changed in Visual Studio 2010 to support extensibility for Silverlight and WPF, and broaden support across Visual Studio 2010 and Blend3.

Control design times must be recompiled for Visual Studio 2010 and must implement IProvideAttributeTable instead of IRegisterMetadata.

These issues block control distribution in Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1:

The automated "toolbox control installation" method documented for earlier versions of Visual Studio is not working in Beta 1 for Silverlight. To populate the toolbox in Beta 1 with custom controls or user controls, you can either build them as part of your project or add them to your project by using the "Choose Items" dialog box that you can access by right-clicking the toolbox.

The ability to specify toolbox icons and control design times is also limited in Beta 1. Control design-times written for Visual Studio 2008 will not load in Visual Studio 2010. Expect issues in Beta 1 in getting Visual Studio 2008 design-times to work alongside Visual Studio 2010 design-times, and expect issues in getting icons to load correctly in Visual Studio 2010."

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM
Thecentury wrote:

Hi,

the version of DynamicDataDisplay which is on this site is targeted on .NET 3.5 SP1. You can use it in VS 2010 without any limitations.

The next public release will target .NET 4.0.

Best regards,

Mikhail.

I realize that Mikhail is no longer working on this, but the comment above bares a question: is the next release going to be .Net 4.0 only?   Our project is 3.5SP1-based, and we're not going to 4.0 any time soon.  Would be good to know where we stand when the next DDD release comes out.  Please advise.  Thanks.

E.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Hello all,

Could somebody please provide an update on the next release?  I'm not necessarily looking for a date (though that would be nice).  I would like to know whether or not the next release will be only .Net 4.0 or will it be usable with 3.5SP1 still?

Thank you.

E.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Update.

I've got the nightly to work on VS2010 by removing the two design projects from the solution. These must depend on Blend or something else.

Max

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM
EeeeEfff wrote:

Hello all,

Could somebody please provide an update on the next release?  I'm not necessarily looking for a date (though that would be nice).  I would like to know whether or not the next release will be only .Net 4.0 or will it be usable with 3.5SP1 still?

Thank you.

E.

bump.  please...?

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I have been using this on VS2010 with .Net4 and have not come across any problems as yet..