Graph crashes after 3 minutes of real-time graphing

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I have a ChartPlotter to which I am adding 1 LineGraph.  I am doing a real time graph of 50 data points per second.  After about 5 minutes, the application crashes.  Has anyone seen this behavior?  If I add 2 LineGraphs, it fails after about 2 1/2 minutes.  Seems to die at around 20K-25K data points.

If the graph can't handle even that much data, I don't see how it is of much use...which makes me think I am doing something wrong for it to crash so quickly.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is my graphing code:

<d3:ChartPlotter Name="plotter" LegendVisibility="Hidden" NewLegendVisible="false">
            <d3:Header Content=""/>
            <d3:ChartPlotter.FitToViewRestrictions>
                <d3:FollowWidthRestriction Width="6"/> 
            </d3:ChartPlotter.FitToViewRestrictions>
        </d3:ChartPlotter>

Codebehind snippets:

//initialize plotter
plotter.Viewport.UseApproximateContentBoundsComparison = false;  

//Add the LineGraph to the plotter

Data = new ObservableCollection<Point>();

Graph = plotter.AddLineGraph(Data.AsDataSource());

Viewport2D.SetUsesApproximateContentBoundsComparison(Graph, false);

//Code to add a data point (called ~50/second)
Data.Add(point);

Any thoughts or advice? 

Tks.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:54 AM

May be you need to call again Graph = plotter.AddLineGraph(Data.AsDataSource());

You need to refresh the plotter since new data is added.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I don't understand.  Why would I need to create a new LineGraph?  The plotter data gets refreshed when new data is added to it. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM

gorter,  were you able to resolve the issue?  I'm having exactly the same problem, started from 50 samples per second, now trying 1 sample per second and it still crashes after about 5 minutes.  My code is almost the same.  

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM

If this issue is still not resolved, may be someone can recommend other tools I can use besides ddd?  

Thanks.