This project is read-only.

Highlight Ranges

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:05 AM
Hi,

It would be immensely useful to me to be able to highlight ranges within a graph with a block background change, either horizontally or vertically.

Is this something you might consider adding in a future release? Is there some way I might achieve this at the moment?

Regards,

Nick :)

PS: Thanks for this most excellent library!
Dec 9, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Second that. Nice graph, but the ability to somehow show that a value is within limit would be welcomed. For me I am showing a height measurement over time and would like to show the tolerances
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:09 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM
Hi!

Are you speaking about something like this:
http://thecentury.googlepages.com/D3-CurrencyExchangeSample-Highlightr.png
Do you need only horizontal or vertical lines, or you need background filling between lines, too?

If I've understood you wrongly, please explain me, maybe also in sketch, what do you mean.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2008 at 7:56 PM
Yes, exactly like that :)

The background would need filling between the lines to be of use.

Hypothetically, I might want to highlight, in one plane, ranges that meet certain criteria with an orange background and others that meet another set of criteria in blue (and so on...)

Thanks,

Nick
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM
Can you, please, create a picture of this:
Hypothetically, I might want to highlight, in one plane, ranges that meet certain criteria with an orange background and other that meet another set of criteria in blue (and so on...)
I suppose, we'll include functionality to create such lines in the next release.
Maybe, these lines will be ready earlier than next release, - then I'll simply send them to you.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2008 at 8:12 PM
Ok, will do :)

In abstract, all I want to achieve is the ability to highlight areas (ranges) that are algorithmically determined to be "of interest" to the viewer.

Just thinking on my feet, rather than only being in one plane (off the x axis or y axis),  it would be highly desirable to be able to specify ranges that can run to positive and/or negative infinity in both x and y, the graph control then just rendering to the bounds to the viewable area appropriately.
Dec 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM
Hi,

As, promised, link to an example of what I would like to see/achieve:

Highlight Ranges Example

Best regards,

Nick
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM
Hi, Nick!

Your nice picture proved, that I understood your needs right.
Lines and range highlights are ready now, and after some code clean-up and improvement we'll release D3 v0.2.1.

Stay tuned)
Jan 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM
Horizontal and vertical lines, segments, rectangles are now part of DynamicDataDisplay v 0.2.1, so you can use them.
Jan 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM
Hey,

I've only just noticed that you've released a new version with this in.

Awesome!!! :)

I'll have a play tomorrow. Exciting!

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM
Sorry for not notifying you :)
Thanks for your good reference!

Mikhail.