Selecting a range of values?

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Great Control! It has really helped me out. I was wondering if there is a simple way for a user to select a range of values (I have disabled the mouse effects) so I can update other UI elements on the page? I have a graph and I would like the user to be able to click on two different points in the graph to select a "range" of values, and for the graph to somehow return the two points that are clicked. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Editor
Jun 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Hi,

If you are displaying a set of points as a line graph, it is impossible to get info about mouse clicks on specific points, it is only possible ot be notified when user clicks on entire line. In this case, I can advice you to develop a control, siimilar to rectangle selection control, that appears when you move mouse with RMB pressed - see a MouseNavigation class for details.

If you are displaying a set of points as markers in MarkerElementGraph, where each marker is a separate UIElement, it is possible to subscribe to its MouseDown event and be notified when user click on a marker. Currently UIElements that are displaying markers are not public visible, but you can easily change this.

Simply have somewhere a logic that'll wait until user clicks consequently on two different markers and then you can calculate their position in viewport coordinates.

Currently it is not possible to easily highlight selected markers, you can obtain this functionality by creating your own control as a marker, which will have some property, changing which will cause marker to change it look, for example, to draw a outline or smth like this. In the future it probably will be possible to store markers in ItemsControl, which supports native multiple selection and highlighting of selected items.

Hope I helped you a little bit.

Best regards,

Mikhail.