Dynamic Data Display 2.0 for Silverlight is here

Developer
Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM
We are happy to announce the next version of  DynamicDataDisplay for Silverlight. We redesigned the library to make it more lightweight, concise and extensible while keeping strong sides of original D3.
Downloadable package available from http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/8812f483-1f5c-46b6-b9f4-22d1fdf7f2c1 includes necessary assemblies and documentation. Please use this forum for any feedback and support questions.
New features include:
-          Background heatmap renderer
-          Flexible and per formant marker graphs
-          Mini-language for defining palettes with transparency
-          Bing maps support with Mercator projection
-          Rendering Silverlight elements in plotter coordinates
-          API documentation
-          Document with architecture overview

Features not supported in this release:
-          Contour lines
-          DateTime axis

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

A concern has been expressed about the change in licensing terms for Dynamic Data Display for Silverlight version 2.0. Our project team recognize that this may become a problem for our users. If this is the case for you, please, vote an Issue that has been created to track your concerns: [workitem:16933]. This will raise priority for reconsidering our licensing terms.

At the same time let me point out that legal discussions will be considered off-topic and deleted from this forum. Please contact the team directly if you need clarification.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM

If you check the above license tab, you will see that the original license is still listed so I would recommend that you create a new CodePlex project for your new license.

Since license terms are certainly part of any CodePlex project as can be seen from the above License tab, it is important to make sure that the terms are made clear.

You have one license discription on your code download and a completely different license in this project above License tab.

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

To disambiguate, the new license applies solely to Dynamic Data Display for Silverlight 2.0 package available from Microsoft Research site. Btw, this package doesn't contain source code. We didn't change the license for the CodePlex project. This license applies to the source code and downloads that are available from the CodePlex site.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Without the source code (which would allows for customization for specific needs) and with only a non-commercial license, D3 2 for Silverlight is essential worthless from my perspective so I will continue to work on improving Mikhail's  original D3 for Silverlight.

Since you are changing the license and since it is no longer open source, you really should create a new CodePlex project and name for your product.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Hi All,

Are there plans to release a WPF version ? I couldn't find an (easy) way to integrate a Silverlight component in WPF.

Regards,

Julien