Scatter Plot?

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM

It seems like I may have missed something very simple... but is it possible to generate a scatter plot? If so, could you explain how?

Editor
Oct 19, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Yes, it is possible to generate a scatter plot - actually, we do not provide some special control for doing this, because it can be done by DevMarkerChart (Dev mean it is in development now, and at some time this prefix will dissapear). Just take a look into NewMarkerSamples in DevSamples solution folder - some of samples in this project may be helpfull for:

•  Point[1.000.000] is simply a scatter chart (if you like this name) with binding of color of marker to its position
  • DifferentBuiltInMarkers shows what built-in markers do we provide (thought it seems that markers are ordered by x coordinates, it is not important and if you pass data for scatter chart, it will draw it)

Some other charts shows some additional details of available bindings for markers.

So, to draw a scatter chart, you need to perform the following steps:

1. Create a plotter and a DevMarkerChart inside of it
  2. Tune the look of marker you would like to have
  3. Assign a collection of values to DevMarkerChart's ItemsSource
  4. Probably use DependentValuePath and IndependentValuePath properties to choose a property to bind to as a source of x or y values.

P.S. When building NewMarkerSamples assure that its Window.xaml.cs file has uncommented the most part of AddPage methods calls, it can probably look like this:

AddPage(new BigPointArrayPage());

AddPage(new BarChartPage());

AddPage(new LiveTooltipPage());

AddPage(new ColumnChartSample());

AddPage(new AcceptableValuePage());

AddPage(new PieChartPage());

AddPage(new StockMarkersPage());

AddPage(new CompositeDSPage());

AddPage(new DifferentBuildInMarkersPage());

//AddPage(new VectorFieldPage());

AddPage(new EndlessRandomValuesPage());

AddPage(new ConditionalBindingPage());

AddPage(new LetterFrequencyPage());

AddPage(new PieChartAPIPage());

AddPage(new DateTimeRectanglesPage());

AddPage(new PointSetPage());

AddPage(new RotatedEllipsesPage());

Hope this will help)

Best regards,

Mikhail.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Hi Mikhail,

Do you think Quiver plots (e.g. http://code.google.com/p/scitools/wiki/EasyvizDocumentation#Quiver_Plots) could be simulated using a scatter chart mechanism in D3, where, instead of a round marker, the marker is an arrow with size and direction?

Thanks,

E.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Looking through the library, I came across the VectorFieldChart, which, I assume would fit the bill for Quiver plots...    But the VectorFieldPage is commented out in the NewMarkersSamples project.   When I uncommented it, the samples project encountered a runtime NotImplementedException in GenericPointSource2D.

I suppose I must be patient!  :)

Thanks.

Editor
Nov 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Hi,

you are partially right - I suppose markers can work as vector chart, but I can't predict their performance.

We'll create a separate VectorChart, but you are right again - you should be patient :)

Mikhail.